A01: Advanced standing
Policy #: A01 Responsible authority: Academic Standards and Learning Development Approval authority: Canadian Police College Executive Director Approval date: Fall 2015
Advanced standing is recognition awarded to a participant which enables direct entry to an advanced course. It is based on the assumption that previous education and/or experiential learning provided an overall equivalency to an advanced course. The decision to grant the equivalency will be at the discretion of the course instructor and the unit manager.
- Advanced standing will be granted, prior to registration, to a participant who provides official transcripts and/or demonstrates prior learning achievements which are equivalent to the learning requirements in one or more levels of a prescribed curriculum.
- A review of past transcripts of program and/or course information, and/or an evaluation of prior learning will be required.
- The course instructor may decide to submit an exam to the requesting participant to confirm prior knowledge.
Procedures, roles and responsibilities
- An applicant wishing to be considered for advanced standing in a course must formally request an assessment prior to the registration to a course. Official transcripts and other relevant documents (normally, course outlines) may be requested as proof.
- If the request for advanced standing is dependent upon an evaluation of prior learning, the applicant will be referred to the course instructor.
- The course instructor will determine whether the participant qualifies for the advanced course.
- The applicants will be notified in writing of the decision and a copy of the decision will be kept on file.
- Time period for the validity of the granted advance standing should be no longer than one year
Admission to CPC courses – R02
- Date modified: